Today, Christians around the world are celebrating the ascension of Jesus into Heaven. (And no, it didn’t look like the picture above. Jesus can jump much higher and wears royal blue.) Luke writes about it in the book of Acts:
Jesus said to [the disciples]...“You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” After this, He was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid Him from their sight. They were looking intently up into the sky as He was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into Heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen Him go into Heaven.” Acts 1:7-11
A few points jump out at me in this passage:
- Jesus is alive, after being crucified and resurrected. Eat it, Satan!
- Jesus is exalted in Heaven. Praise Him!
- The disciples would still be looking up at the sky if the two angels had not shown up. Come on, guys! Heads out of the clouds.
- Jesus is coming back to usher in the full Kingdom of God. It will be a time of great joy. We need to be ready by accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior now. Are you ready?
- We have work to do. The Church represents Jesus in the world. We are to be His witnesses in our actions and words to all types of people in our community, city, state, nation, and world. How are we doing?
- We are not alone. God sent the Holy Spirit (the presence of God) to empower, to guide, and to be present with us. Come, Holy Spirit!