I'm not a big fan of church signs with the interchangeable letters used to display what someone thinks is a witty saying as a form of evangelism. Some examples:
- Stop Drop and Roll Doesn't Work in Hell
- Walmart Is Not The Only Saving Place
- 7 Days Without Prayer Makes 1 Weak
- Forbidden Fruit Causes Many Jams.
A few might crack us up, but most are over-the-top cheesy. Pardon me while I puke. I wonder how many unchurched people actually visit churches because of signs like these. What if we instead used the signs to communicate what we are doing to help people? Something like:
- Feed the Hungry Here
- Earthquake Relief Collection Site
- Divorce Care: 7 PM Wednesdays.
People outside of the church have needs not being met. They also are eager to help meet the needs of other people. The church is called to help with both. We should have enough going on to keep our sign changers busy every day of the week.
That being said, I laughed out loud when I saw the sign pictured above. Don't bet on it attracting any visitors, though.